Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Why CD laser unit fails so often?

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 7:54:47 AM UTC-4, Miguel Giménez wrote:

The second is very helpful, although somewhat discouraging. I'd like to
know if recent Sony spare parts are more reliable than eight years ago
or it's better to toss the devices and buy better ones (Denon?).

I don't know. At this point, I have six (6) CD changers and one single-disc player in the inventory, Five changers are Sony, including two 200-disc changers, one is a Yamaha. The single disc player is a Revox. None of them have had any laser problems over the last many years of use. One of the 200-disc changers has run for weeks at a time 24/7 as it feeds my transmitters, mostly in the winter. All the Sony devices are thrift-shop purchases for US$25 or less, so not even 'babied-from-new' as is the Yamaha, or second-owner as is the Revox.

So, I suspect some sort of user-error, installation problem, drifting focus and/or counterfeit part issues happening here. All of which are entirely possible and nothing to be ashamed over.

http://www.ralph-toman.de/cd_player_...player_eng.htm is a rather technical discussion on "how-to" do the various adjustments for various CD players that might be helpful.

Best of luck with them.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA