Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default The 280 pound capacitor

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 08:05:20 -0400, bitrex
wrote:

On 06/08/2017 01:39 PM, Winfield Hill wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote...

I tore down a Marconi signal generator today. ...
faulty smoothing cap in the PSU .. GBP280.

I have a 280-pound capacitor, four of them in fact.
Well, they must weigh something in that vicinity.
They cost $500 each, including pallet shipping.

The physically largest capacitor I ever saw in person was a PIO type
rated IIRC for a couple of uF at several kV; it weighed about as much as
a bowling ball and was about the same size

At 280 lbs, it would take several big men to move the thing. (Or a
forklift). Not the kind of thing you can just replace on your work
bench, because the bench would probably collapse.