Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Duracell 1432 Flashlight: Battery Drain.

On Saturday, 27 May 2017 19:14:03 UTC+1, wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 20:44:23 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I have five of these things:
https://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Dura...ews/B00NZTE97S

Three of them seem tb OK, but two drain the batteries: 2-3 months on the
shelf and the batteries are dead.

If it were all 5, I could buy the allegations of a flawed design.

But only 2? I'm thinking some sort of quality control issue.

Does anybody know enough about LED lights in general to ballpark the
problem? Not knowing anything, I tend to think it's the screw-on
switch/back of the light.

Someone once handed me one of those cheap $5 or less LED flashlights,
and said "What's wrong with this thing?". I took a look. When the switch
was turned ON, it worked fine and was bright. When the switch was turned
to the OFF position, the LEDs were still lit, but extremely dim.

I have to admit, I was puzzled. I ripped it apart as much as possible.
Icould not find any reason. I could only figure that there was some sort
of resistance leaking across that switch, but I did not have a
multimeter on hand. Plus the switch could not be removed without
destroying the flashlight.

I just told the owner to remove the batteries when they are not using
it.

On the other hand, I own at least a dozen of those (similar) cheap LED
flashlights sold by Walmart for $1. I have no complaints. They work
fine, and for the price they are worth buying. The only bad thing is
that it costs $1 (or more) to replace the three AAA batteries, so it's
ofter cheaper to just buy another flashlight (they come with batteries).

However, "Dollar Tree" has a 4 pack of AAA batts for $1, so that only
costs 75 cents for replacement batteries....

use rechargeables.

NT