Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Duracell 1432 Flashlight: Battery Drain.

On Fri, 26 May 2017 20:44:23 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I have five of these things:
https://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Dura...ews/B00NZTE97S

I see that you've been shopping at Costco:
https://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Durabeam-Tactical-High-Intensity-Flashlight/dp/B00NZTE97S
Junk but cheap. There's no reason you should be using alkaline
batteries for high power lighting when LiIon is so much better.

Hmmm.... 108 positive reviews and 255 critical reviews. That should
be a clue.

Three of them seem tb OK, but two drain the batteries: 2-3 months on the
shelf and the batteries are dead.
If it were all 5, I could buy the allegations of a flawed design.
But only 2? I'm thinking some sort of quality control issue.

Yep, that's a good possibility. Did you try to measure the current
drain when the flashlight was off? Just unscrew the battery cap and
attach a DVM ammeter with clipleads. My guess is you'll see a few
milliamps drain when off.

Does anybody know enough about LED lights in general to ballpark the
problem? Not knowing anything, I tend to think it's the screw-on
switch/back of the light.

That's possible. Inside the tail switch is the on/off, dimmer, and
flasher electronics. Here's a teardown of a similar model Duracell
1300 flashlight. I don't think repair is an option because it seems
impossible to disassemble without breaking something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpERkuuFciw
Start at 6:00 for the tail switch.

--
Jeff Liebermann