Posted to uk.d-i-y
bm[_2_] bm[_2_] is offline

Default UPVC door.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I have an outside door to the roof terrace here. A fairly recent one -
perhaps 30 years old. Just a basic wood frame with a single full sized
double glazed plain glass panel.

The door opens inwards and has leaked off and on since it was fitted. It's
rather exposed up there. I fitted fancy seals which helped - but notice
some of the rubber has started to perish, and the wood frame of the door
isn't that great either.

It's not a period feature, and security isn't an issue, so I'm considering
replacing it with a UPVC one which hopefully would have better seals.

The present door in set into a custom made window frame - pretty chunky as
it is load bearing. If I removed the door and the planted on stops, I'd be
left with a basic wood frame made out of 4x2" which is well braced by
horizontals for the window - of the same size.

I've a horror of double glazing firms that install things. Googling has
found several firms that will supply a door and frame made to size.

Any gotchas about a DIY install? I've done PVC windows and patio doors OK
some time ago.

2nd posting attempt, god knows why i bother -

Why do you want a plastic (garbage) door?
You should check, your beloved EU might outlaw such crap.
That won't stop you though, right?
EU principles go out of the window when it's something for yourself.
You can come the high and mighty all you like, when it's for yourself you
couldn't give a ****.
Stuff the friggin EU.
You go for the crappy plastic door, Dave.
Your leader will be proud.