Art Todesco

Default Using a rental TILLER to till lawn

Be careful with chemicals. Many poison the soil and will affect
the garden grwoth for some time. Be sure to read the labels.
Also, I have used my 18" tiller to pull up grass for a garden
area. It will bounce around but will get the job done. BTW,
it is an electric tiller (not one of those little units used to
go around existing plants) and is a great unit, however, I
haven't seen this in stores for 20 years.

C G wrote:
Ignoramus20984 wrote:

I would like to make a garden where previously there was lawn. Using a
shovel is just too hard and I know will ruin my shoes. So I would like
to rent a tiller and use it, but I am not sure if it can do the job on
the land than never was tilled and has thick lawn grass.

Any ideas, can I expect to rent something useable?

Spray the area with roundup about two weeks before tilling so you kill
off the grass. Spray the areas you missed one week before. The dead
grass and roots will enhance the soil. Be sure not to do this when the
ground is saturated, and also do not do if the ground is bone dry.

Chuck