Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Electric Comet Electric Comet is offline

Default Been awhile, and it shows

On Tue, 9 May 2017 11:35:05 -0600
graham wrote:

hollow turning through a small hole to make a small urn. I managed to
get a fairly uniform thickness of 2-3mm and was refining the outside
near the base. I had re-ground the fingernail on a 3/8" spindle gouge
and almost immediately got a nasty catch. So as I had enough wood
left, I tried to turn it out whereupon I caught an even nastier one

there are some good videos of a japanese turner doing thin walled
bowls and the light bulb technique

the technique used is scraping rather than a full frontal gouge