Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default Been awhile, and it shows

On 2017-05-07 7:53 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:

2) Practice, practice, practice. Put another way, "If you do not use it, you lose it."

I started turning seriously again last year after a 15 year break during
which my profession took all my time. I know what to do but it's like a
musician practising scales - one must, as you say, practise to keep
one's skills up to par.
This was emphasised to me a couple of weeks ago. I was making a deep
hollow turning through a small hole to make a small urn. I managed to
get a fairly uniform thickness of 2-3mm and was refining the outside
near the base. I had re-ground the fingernail on a 3/8" spindle gouge
and almost immediately got a nasty catch. So as I had enough wood left,
I tried to turn it out whereupon I caught an even nastier one that
consigned the piece of burl to the firewood box.
Graham