I-zheet M'drurz

Default Cable TV Splitter Signal Strength

On 13 Aug 2003, New Question wrote:

There is a cable television line that enters from outside into our
basement. The first device the cable connects to is an in-line
Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS. The Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS is not a line splitter,
so I'm assuming it's a signal booster of some kind.

Is it powered? (probably a "wall wart" AC adapter?) If not, it
can't be a booster or amplifier, they're "active" devices and need
a power source. If it's just some kind of tube, etc, with no
powering, that's a "passive" device, usually some type of filter.

But in any case...

The second device
the cable connects to is a Signal Vision 2-way splitter SV-2G
5-1000MHz, with two 3.5dB outputs.

My goal is to run a third cable line off this line. Thus, I will need
to change the 2-way splitter to a 3-way splitter. Is Cannel Vision a
good brand for a 3-way splitter?

You don't necessarily need to use a 3-way, you can buy another
2-way and a coax jumper and feed it from one of the output ports
on the 2-way. You will be creating your own 3-way, it will work
electronically the same exact way as a 3-way will.

Point to realize about a 3-way: There is one "low loss"
leg (-3.5 dB) and two "high loss" legs (-7 dB) IOW, you lose
3.5 dB every time you split the signal. Put your most distant
feed from the splitter on the low loss leg.

Will I need to change the Viewsonics VSGB1GTSS to match the 3-way
splitter?

Most likely not, no matter what it is.

--
TP