Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default castting

On 20/04/17 21:01, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 17:33:33 +0100, David Billington wrote:

On 20/04/17 06:29, wrote:
I am research student I need any one interest in casting of copper base
alloy or high copper alloy with chrome in different ratios (0.46 - 5)%
chrome and copper base alloy with aluminum in different ratios (3 -9)%
Al ,I need know how can cast of chrome in molten copper that has 1907 C
temp whereas the copper 1085 C, can I add chrome to molten copper as
powder? Did the chrome dissolved in molten copper.
then I will try to make solution treatment to these alloy for
strengthening (quenching and aging) to ...then I will to compare
between these alloy with mechanical properties, corrosion and wear
resistance. Please if you any one can help me to achieved these
requirements. Did the copper chrome alloy has more than properties from
copper aluminum alloy with the ratios above Thank with my regards

You would need to know the solubility of chrome in copper to know how
much you can add but modern pewter (Britannia metal) is made by melting
tin and then adding the copper and stirring to dissolve the copper.
Copper has a much higher melting temperature than tin but will readily
dissolve up to a point.

I did a bit of searching and based on the little bits I found it seems
they're imiscible.

I was hoping to find a master chart of the solubilities of all metals in
all metals -- I was disappointed.

I was reading recently about modern pewter (Britannia metal) and it's
typically 92-6-2 for rolled sheet with slight variations depending on
application. That's 92% tin, 6% antimony, and 2% copper. Apparently the
antimony also helps keep the copper in suspension and evenly distributed
as IIRC the copper would separate out and IIRC not much more copper will
dissolve in tin anyway. I've not looked for information as you have
about the copper chrome combination but maybe in a similar way another
element addition might boost take-up, I think I'll leave that to the OP
as I can't see I have any need for playing with a copper chrome alloy.