Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Library ladder

On 4/20/2017 12:00 AM, Dan Coby wrote:
On 4/17/2017 9:48 AM, Leon wrote:
I am getting close to needing to build a ladder for my 10'+ tall book
shelves. I'm probably going to go the less expensive route and simply
build a lean-to ladder. Fancy hardware and wheels and bars and stand
offs would be at least $1,000.00.

Anyway has anyone done this? I am in particular wondering what the
minimum angle should be to prevent falling backwards. I am not going to
attach the ladder to the book cases, my plan is to put rubber feet on
the bottom and maybe felt pads where it will lean against the book case.
I'll just pick it up and move it as needed.

I am certain a normal step ladder ladder is probably a good angle but I
do not want to take up any more floor space than necessary if I leave it
out and leaning against the book case all of the time. Alternatively I
can stand the ladder at the end of the cabinets out of the way.

I have been reading about your library and ladder project.

It seems like you are planning on building a ladder that is about 9 feet
tall. I would like to point out that it does not really need to be that
tall. If I assume that your ceilings are 10 feet and that you are 5 foot
6 inches, then the highest step that you could possibly use is only 4
and 1/2 feet off of the floor. Otherwise you would be hitting your head
on the ceiling.

My ceilings are 11' tall, I am 6' tall and my wife is 5'4".

In your situation, I would consider building something that is only
about 4 feet tall. Something this size would not dominate the room or
block your view of the contents of your shelves like a taller ladder would.

I have considered a short step ladder however, the bookcases will be
sitting on top of two file cabinets. The file cabinets will extend
approximately 8" out in front of the book shelves and the file cabinets
are approximately 42" tall. This, for safety reasons, is why I am
choosing a ladder that will lean closer to the upper shelves.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I would want something to act as a hand rail for stability. This could
be either something attached to one side of the shorter ladder or,
perhaps, some sort of rails attached directly to the bookshelves either
horizontally or vertically.

The taller ladder would act as a hand rail.

In the picture, I have a 9' ladder that rests against the face frame of
the middle and side cabinets. That is the only line of shelving that is
stationary/fixed. all lower shelves on the sides are adjustable so they
would not make a good support for the ladder.

"IF" I were to add a library ladder bar along the bottom of the center
cabinet and extend in front of the adjustable shelving on the side
cabinets I could perhaps shorten the ladder to about 8' or a little less.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

Dan