Posted to rec.woodworking
Spalted Walt Spalted Walt is offline

Default Library ladder

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I am getting close to needing to build a ladder for my 10'+ tall book
shelves. I'm probably going to go the less expensive route and simply
build a lean-to ladder. Fancy hardware and wheels and bars and stand
offs would be at least $1,000.00.

Anyway has anyone done this? I am in particular wondering what the
minimum angle should be to prevent falling backwards. I am not going to
attach the ladder to the book cases, my plan is to put rubber feet on
the bottom and maybe felt pads where it will lean against the book case.
I'll just pick it up and move it as needed.

I am certain a normal step ladder ladder is probably a good angle but I
do not want to take up any more floor space than necessary if I leave it
out and leaning against the book case all of the time. Alternatively I
can stand the ladder at the end of the cabinets out of the way.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00235

Use the 4-to-1 rule: Make sure the ladder is 1 foot away from the
wall for every 4 feet that the ladder rises. For example, if the
ladder touches the wall 16 feet above the ground, the feet/base of
the ladder should be 4 feet from the wall. If you are going to climb
onto a roof, the ladder should extend 3 feet higher than the roof.
The upper and lower sections of an extension ladder should overlap to
provide stability.

-or-

75deg -- Figure 13-1: Ladder Angle:
http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/...treg/296_97_10