Andrew

Default Disconnecting Cast Iron tubing

Hi, I need to move my toilet for a bathroom renovation, and this
requires moving the soil line from the toilet to the stack. Both the
stack and run to the toilet are cast iron. The opening I've made in
the floor boards will not accomodate a large pipe cracker, so I
thought I'd try and simply disconnect the line from the toilet to the
stack and replace it with ABS or PVC. The current joint is lead over
oakum, I assume. Can I just melt the lead, chisel out the oakum and
disconnect the pipes? And assuming this is possible, can I connect
the plastic with the cast iron easily using a no-hub coupling? (the
branch coming off of the stack is the bell-end, so it's wider than the
4-inch pipe. Is there an adapter I can get from a plumbing
supplier? Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Andrew