Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Help, cutting stair stringers

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

Need to cut stringer with 16 risers, each at 7.33 inches. (total
117-5/16").
Have a decent square and pair of gauges (clamps) that I acquired way back
in the 60's.
Question: If I am off only 1/16" per tread, and it's accumulative, I will
be off an entire scary one inch.
How do I conveniently measure total rise while the stringer is still on the
saw horses, laid out but uncut?
Don't care if any riser is off by 1/16", simply don't want it to
accumulate.

I use a fence on my framing square when I lay out stringers... I made the
fence myself 30+ years ago. Something similar is at

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/f...g-square-32621

The fence helps overcome the variations found in the typical piece of
framing lumber.

Another thing I do is calculate the overall length of the stringer (which is
being well explored elsewhere ;~) ) and then mark off where each of the
front tread/riser intersections should be on the edge of the stringer. I
then use those marks to position the square to lay out the stringer.

This methodology has served me well over the years. I adopted it because the
first set of stairs I built when I was a kid (utility stairs in a 2 story
garage) had a low first step and it still bugs me nearly 40 years later.