Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 2 x 4's the old ones

On 3/19/17 7:59 AM, Oliver Douglas wrote:

Ever notice free government public housing for welfare democrats lasts
less than 30 years before it's demolished?

OTOH, republican taxpayer farmers will take care of their homes and pass
them on for many generations.

The federal government has had subsidy programs for farmers
going back to the 1930s. The story I've been told is the feds wanted
to keep the farmers down on the farm
to avoid having them in the cities competing for jobs during the
Depression.
https://www.fsa.usda.gov/about-fsa/structure-and-organization/commodity-credit-corporation/index
The programs used to involve the farmer idling some ground in return
for the government help. The requirement to idle ground was eliminated
with the Freedom to Farm Act passed in the later 1990s.
I haven't seen any farmers walking on water. Some of the places
are immaculate considering the environment. Others are dumps, with
junk and weeds everywhere.
I've been on or around farms for six decades and have indirectly
benefited from the
government programs. My livelihood still depends on farmers.
The first house I grew up in used some of the old, real 2x4s.
The builders didn't waste anything. They nailed one 2x4 to another one
if the first one was too short.
The walls mostly plaster. One room had some softer material that I
forget the name of.