Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aviators oxygen vs welding or medical oxygen.

Martin Eastburn on Thu, 16 Feb 2017
17:21:58 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Oh sigh...

Martin Eastburn on Wed, 15 Feb 2017
21:42:38 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
If you pump air into the medical OX with a cast iron pump with oil
in the rings - you send all sorts of crap from the pump. It also
picks up anything from the air it sucks in. Gas / Diesel / pollen .....
and pumps it into the tank. Lots of junk from the air. Guy painting
the building or out-gas paint...

And what you have is not a tank of oxygen.

This is a 'green' tank marked Oxygen for welding. One uses filters if
it must be cleaner. In a torch - Oxygen/Hydro... it doesn't matter.
If it did you would put a particle filter on it. Don't breathe this as
medical ox.

I'm still curious as to how one can have compounds in a 100% or
even 99.9% Oxy environment.

When medical OX is made, the pump is in a nylon pump and it squeezes the
oxygen by squeezing a hose from a series of filters into the tank.

It is like a scuba tank - can't just suck in the CO the pump puts out
into the tank.

When I get an OX tank from a company - it comes from a welding supply
in a welding tank.

And it has nitrogen, co2, h2o, pollen and dust in it?

Oxygen tanks are percentage of pure OX. It will have other stuff in it
if 98% Ox. One never gets pure Ox in an iron/steel tank.

I would expect that to be true. After all, iron oxidizes rather
well, and unfortunately, the oxides lack the structural integrity to
protect the un oxidized iron from exposure.

It would have
to be glass lined and purged/cleaned every time.
Air isn't pure Ox. It is mostly Nitrogen. It has He in it as well.
All sorts of non OX is in air.

There must be something to the magic of getting oxygen into tanks
which I'm missing.

When I get an OX tank from a company - and it is for life/death it is
from the medical OX supplier.

And why if it is always 100% pure OX is there Medical grade ? It isn't
just medical grade container.

--
pyotr filipivich