Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mogulah@hotmail.com is offline

Default What the hell is going on with this grease?

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 11:38:12 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:
On 17 Feb 2017 03:23:41 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2017-02-16, wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 18:15:13 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 14:25:30 -0800,
wrote:

To all the greasy folks here,
About 7 years ago I took apart my dividing head to make some changes.
I completely degreased all the parts. When re-assembling the thing I
used white lithium grease on all the parts that needed grease. Lately
the rotating parts have become very stiff, as if the brake was on. I
took it apart today and discovered that the white grease had turned
into green glue. But only on the steel worm and bronze worm gear. The

[ ... ]

Some sulfur containing EP additives are not compatible with copper
bearing alloys. It's a common concern with gear oils. I've never heard
of an issue with grease, but if the grease was made from oil with
non-compatible additives...

Hmm ... perhaps it forms a sulfuric acid under pressure and
load?

Greetings Ned,
I tried to find out what kind of oil is used in the white grease I
have and have had no luck. But I'm thinking you must be correct about
the sulfur, even though the grease is not described as having any EP
additives.

Can you try some PH paper on the remains to see whether it is
somewhat acidic?

Based on your post I am going to make sure that any greases
I use in the future on bronze mechanisms do not contain sulfur or any
other additives that can harm bronze. The grease in contact not only
became a substance similar to thick glue parts of it turned into
almost a solid. And conventional solvents used to dissolve greases had
no effect I could see on the morphed grease when I cleaned it all out.
Eric

Hmm .... what about Molybdnium DiSulfide grease? I suspect that
it would work well with copper-bearing metals such as the worm gear.
(Unless someone else knows differently.) At least check with the makers
to see whether they know of any such problems.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Anything with sulphur or chlorine will attack bronze..

Damn, not cool. They actually sell bronze sink fixtures, too.