Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus12212 Ignoramus12212 is offline

Default Modern car paint and rust

On 2017-02-16, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 07:42:21 -0600
Ignoramus20725 wrote:

Ed, if I buy a modern car like a Honda, how long can I realistically
expect them to last?

You got any repo lots around where they sell stuff? I've got a big one
not too far away and it's very educational to look through. All sorts
of models, years and condition with no cleanup, prepping done for
resale.

I spend most of my time looking underneath the vehicles. The
front wheel well on the Honda CRV is quite interesting. Doesn't look
like a very long lived design for this area and road salt.

Another one that caught my eye was a Buick Rendezvous. The gas filler
is located above the rear wheel well. The filler pipe is in the well
with a thin protective material over some of it.

The Chevy Colorado that has all the emergency brake cable connections
inline with where the left front tire will throw all the road spray on
them.

The 2007 Chevy Silverado that had rear frame rails with major crusty
rust trouble.

Most people look at the body color/paint, interior... I get down and
look all around underneath. The exhaust, drive shaft, suspension,
wheel wells, emergency brake cables, frame rails

Very interesting. My wife had a CR/V for 10 years and it looked almost
new despite being parked outside. She is a gentle car user, for sure,
but still for Illinois it was impressive. Now she has a Honda Pilot,
the same story, great quality vehicle.