Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Benderthe.evilrobot Benderthe.evilrobot is offline

Default fewer through-hole transistors available

"Jon Elson" wrote in message

I have found that but-for a very few specialized transistors, most of the
general purpose types are now lumped into a much smaller universe of
replacement types. I have never had any problems, ultimately, with
finding
replacements - and I keep a variety of testers and checkers to make sure
they will do - but they are not necessarily to OEM spec. Usually much
better.

This particular one was an NPN with an ft of 1400 MHz and 1.2 pF Cob. So,
definitely, a 2N2222 would not cut it.

Once a neigbour broke the TO92 RF transistor in their wireless doorbell
button.

Nothing anywhere near in my junk box, so I salvaged the SMD RF transistor
from a scrap mobile phone and put it on "stilts".

It worked well enough, but it turns out a few other people along the street
had the same doorbell on the same code setting................