Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Zahut[_5_] Pete Zahut[_5_] is offline

Default Fixing deep back box for shower isolator

Pete Zahut formulated the question :
Tim+ submitted this idea :
Pete Zahut wrote:
jim expressed precisely :
Pete Zahut Wrote in message:
We live in a 1960s semi-detached dormer bungalow, the internal walls of
which seem to be made of something like an egg-box construction.

There's a 45A double pole switch for the shower mounted outside the
bathroom but whoever fitted it should have used a dry-lining box rather
than a metal back box. Presumably the reason they didn't, is that there
are no dry-lining boxes that have the lugs in the correct orientation
for this situation.

The metal back box that's there at the moment is a very deep one (don't
know if they're 45 or 50mm deep) but we can't get away with anything
shallower because of the two 10mm twin+earth cables and the depth of the
switch.

The problem is, the box is actually touching the plasterboard (or
whatever it is) at the other side of the wall, so there's no depth to be
able to plug and screw and fixings - which is why it needs a dry-lining
box that no one makes!

One of these?

http://www.websparky.co.uk/acatalog/...mm-Deep-Dry-Li
ning-Box-WA107P.html

That's a standard dry-lining box. I need the lugs to be on the other two
surfaces (top and bottom as you look at that photo) but nobody makes them.

Can you inject some gripfill /Stixall type adhesive through the
holes in the back if the one you've got already & try
again?

Maybe, but not hopeful to be honest.

Um, your switch has screws top and bottom so you want a box that has screw
fixings in the same place. Fit that dry lining box vertically and you have
what you need, unless I'm missing something obvious...

Tim

Only two 10mm twin and earth cables coming in and going out at the bottom :')

Aha, yes, I see what you mean Tim - I'm a bit of a numpty lol
Yes, I need something that doesn't exist ( a dry-lining box with lugs
at top and sides but only a screw fixing at the bottom, to allow for
the entry/exit of the cables at the bottom), which is obviously why
they went with the metal back box instead.