Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aviators oxygen vs welding or medical oxygen.

Martin Eastburn wrote:
If you pump air into the medical OX with a cast iron pump with oil
in the rings - you send all sorts of crap from the pump. It also
picks up anything from the air it sucks in. Gas / Diesel / pollen .....
and pumps it into the tank. Lots of junk from the air. Guy painting
the building or out-gas paint...

When medical OX is made, the pump is in a nylon pump and it squeezes the
oxygen by squeezing a hose from a series of filters into the tank.

It is like a scuba tank - can't just suck in the CO the pump puts out
into the tank.

When I get an OX tank from a company - it comes from a welding supply
in a welding tank.

When I get an OX tank from a company - and it is for life/death it is
from the medical OX supplier.

Water is sucked into the pump and into the tank / hose in real time.
It is kept out of OX for life.

OX is generated in chemical reactions in canisters for airplanes. Now
and then one catches fire and causes news on the TV.

N2 tanks are 'dry' tanks also. No water. Many plasma machines use N2
not air. Plasma creates instant steam and it blasts the beam wide and
cools it as well giving a poor and sloppy cut edge.

This facility compresses air into a liquid, then it boils off each
gas to separate them. The majority of the oxygen is fed to the AK steel
mill a couple miles away, but they also supply hospitals with oxygen.

They also sell the rare gases that were mixed into the air, for
industrial use.

The reduction towers are huge, and the pumps are noisy. I used to
live near it, and I was involved in the upgrade when the sections of new
towers were transported from the Ohio river, through our cable TV
system. Each piece was moved on a 40 axle, 4,000HP crawler with a top
speed of five MPH. The assembly was done in England, since no place in
the US could transport that weight on existing roads and bridges. It
would have been in many smaller sections, and taken at least two more
years to add the needed Oxygen capacity.

,881m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x106f597f0d4863a3!8m2 !3d39.488846!4d-84.397463

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.