Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Modern car paint and rust

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 07:42:21 -0600, Ignoramus20725

On 2017-02-12, wrote:

Right. It's better coatings, better primers and protection, and
better application. Read, water-based coatings that often are based
on urethanes; phosphate and weldable, etching primers; galvanizing
in rust-prone areas; and electrophoresis and electrostatic
application. The first water-based coatings -- used into the '80s by
some manufacturers -- had poor adhesion and didn't weather
well. They're MUCH better now.

All of this became more necessary as body panels got thinner, with
the use of AHSS (advanced high-strength steels; a continuing
evolution of the HSLA [high-strength, low-alloy] steels that were
first used in the '70s). Rust is potentially a bigger problem than
ever because the steel is thinner.

Ed, if I buy a modern car like a Honda, how long can I realistically
expect them to last?

25 years if you take care of them. 5 to 7 if you don't. My daughter's
Honda is10? years old and the body is still spotless - and she has had
virtually no repairs. It is serviced regularly - the first years by
the dealer now by her Fiance who is a HD Truck mechanic.