Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best drive belts?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:28:04 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 23:35:54 -0500
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
Sure, if you have the finesse to stop short of the pavement
underneath, or planned to repave it in the spring.

Many years ago I help an old girlfriends brother clear his
driveway.
He had been driving over the snow and had solid pack maybe 8-10
inches
thick. We used his roto-tiller to loosen it up and then shovel off
the
debris. There was cement underneath. His idea/plan. It didn't work
too
bad. I wouldn't want to use my tiller though unless there was say
gravel underneath. An old set of tines would be best. I saw the
drive
once the snow was gone and you couldn't see any obvious damage. No
more
than tire chains would make.

--
Leon Fisk

I stopped using my home-made bucket loader to clear snow after it
knocked chunks of asphalt out of the edge of the driveway. It also
made a mess of the yard if the ground wasn't frozen solid before the
snow fell, i.e. the snow came with a cold front.

The skids on the edges of the bucket sank uselessly into the soft
mud
that forms when the top layer of soil melts but can't drain through
the ice below it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasputitsa

Some of the truck vids from Russia are showing triple tractors
trying
to free lumber trucks from mudbeds. What a horrible mess that is.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...sian+truck+mud

The off-road motorcycle club I belonged to ran springtime rallys
through all the mudholes. It was amazing to watch the Trials experts
on their Bultacos float over mud the less skilled of us were waist
deep in.
-jsw