Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Modern car paint and rust

Am Sonntag, 12. Februar 2017 23:03:10 UTC+1 schrieb :

Right. It's better coatings, better primers and protection, and better application. Read, water-based coatings that often are based on urethanes; phosphate and weldable, etching primers; galvanizing in rust-prone areas; and electrophoresis and electrostatic application. The first water-based coatings -- used into the '80s by some manufacturers -- had poor adhesion and didn't weather well. They're MUCH better now.

All of this became more necessary as body panels got thinner, with the use of AHSS (advanced high-strength steels; a continuing evolution of the HSLA [high-strength, low-alloy] steels that were first used in the '70s). Rust is potentially a bigger problem than ever because the steel is thinner.

Are these modern coatings two-pack paints? Or some kind of stove enamel which is baked on? I also remember hearing something about paints which contained cyanide at some point.

I'd be interested to know the composition, because they seem way better than anything I can buy.

Thanks for the replies!

Chris