Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default What the hell is going on with this grease?

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 14:25:30 -0800
wrote:

To all the greasy folks here,
About 7 years ago I took apart my dividing head to make some changes.
I completely degreased all the parts. When re-assembling the thing I
used white lithium grease on all the parts that needed grease. Lately
the rotating parts have become very stiff, as if the brake was on. I
took it apart today and discovered that the white grease had turned
into green glue. But only on the steel worm and bronze worm gear. The
all steel tapered roller bearings at both ends still have grease that
works and looks like grease is supposed to. It appears that there is
some kind of chemical reaction happening between the grease and the
bronze gear. Anybody here know anything about this?
Thanks,
Eric

Worm gears tend to run hot, more so than the your roller bearings. It
might be getting warmer in there than you think it is (shrug).

This web site has several articles on lube and worm gears:

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...ar-lubrication

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...080/worm-gears

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...ate-worm-gears

Oil seems to be preferred over grease...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b