Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas[_4_] Phil Kangas[_4_] is offline

Default Timesaver lapping abrasive

wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 15:55:43 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

I've often wondered how this lapping powder would
work on say, a '66 GM 225 V-6 crankshaft. Use it
to fine tune the clearances all at once. Solvent clean
ofterward. Anyone try this? ;) phil k.

Wouldn't the abrasive just get embedded in the insert?
That's not good... sorry i posted the question. phil k.

Greetings Phil,
The yellow label stuff is for lapping soft metals in just
the kind of
application you describe. I have lapped in many babbit
bearings using
Timsaver lapping compound. Mix the stuff with oil
according to the
instructions and apply through oil hole if the bearing has
one or
apply to bearing shells and assemble the bearing. The
abrasive will
not embed into the soft metal but will instead lap it.
Conventional
lapping compound, like the Clover stuff, will embed in the
softer
metal and lap the harder metal. Timesaver works opposite
in that it
will not embed and will lap the softer metal.
Eric

Ok, that's good to know. Thanks for the input, eih? ;)