Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What the hell is going on with this grease?

To all the greasy folks here,
About 7 years ago I took apart my dividing head to make some changes.
I completely degreased all the parts. When re-assembling the thing I
used white lithium grease on all the parts that needed grease. Lately
the rotating parts have become very stiff, as if the brake was on. I
took it apart today and discovered that the white grease had turned
into green glue. But only on the steel worm and bronze worm gear. The
all steel tapered roller bearings at both ends still have grease that
works and looks like grease is supposed to. It appears that there is
some kind of chemical reaction happening between the grease and the
bronze gear. Anybody here know anything about this?
Thanks,
Eric