Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default Aviators oxygen vs welding or medical oxygen.

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 14:51:11 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Robert Nichols writes:

Here's an interesting quote I ran across at http://www.c-f-c.com/supportdocs/abo1.htm:
"Also of interest, we have been told by the suppliers of welding oxygen, the purity level required for welding and cutting purposes is more critical than for breathing."

Well, sure. That's quoting from the welding oxygen sales reps..

Bet you'd get the exact same quote, just the other way, if
you spoke to medical oxygen sale reps...

I used to own a welding supply distributorship. We sold both medical
and industrial oxygen.

Medical and welding tanks connected to the exact same fill header. The
difference is that we had to test the welding oxygen for dewpoint (-50
deg F if I recall correctly) while it didn't matter for medical
oxygen.

For the medical oxygen, we had to have an FDA license and keep track
of lot numbers. Though not required, we recorded the oxygen purity
for each lot.

The other difference is that the green medical oxygen cylinders had to
be internally thoroughly cleaned before initial use to eliminate any
potential particulate sources.

Bottom line: welding oxygen is of higher quality than medical oxygen.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com