Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Modern car paint and rust

On 02/12/2017 1:16 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Am Sonntag, 12. Februar 2017 20:02:27 UTC+1 schrieb Ignoramus20243:

I thought that at some point, they started requiring galvanized body
panels.

This is also true, I think. But I don't see the modern paint cracking
and falling off, so I'm wondering what's better about the paint.

Don't think there's any "requirement" other than what the manufacturer
thinks suits their purpose best as far as whether panels are/aren't
galvanized (or otherwise treated). I don't know what actually is most
common other than there's a tremendous fraction not that isn't even
metal; just pretty sure there's no mandate same. The mandates are
those for the fuel mileage averages so that means "lighter is better" in
ounces quantities.

As for paint, what has improved is they've finally figured out formulas
that have at least some longevity after the EPA restrictions on VOC's
killed all the traditional finishes as not being within those limits.