Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Timesaver lapping abrasive

Great stuff, Timesaver lapping abrasive. "Guaranteed not to continue
to cut". This week I had two instances to use it. The first was when I
tried to thread new nuts onto the shaft of an old (probably 1940s
vintage) Baldor grinder. The new nuts would not fit. I measured the
pitch diameter of the 1/2-13 threads and they were oversize. The nuts
that came with the ancient grinder were larger than normal 1/2-13
across the flats. .937 while normal 1/2-13 nuts are .750 across the
flats. The nut threads were also quite oversized because the fit was
quite loose on the grinder shaft. So I mixed some of the Timesaver
stuff with a little oil and lapped the new nuts to the threads. Only
took about 15 minutes to get a nice fit. Then today working on a DoAll
vertical bandsaw that had been converted from a band filer I ran into
a problem. The bar that holds the blade guides and slides up and down
would not slide easily. The guide for it, when bolted tight to the
saw, would warp slightly. So I used the same stuff I mixed earlier and
lapped the pieces together. Now the bar slides easily and smoothly
without being sloppy. I love the Timesaver Lapping abrasives. They
don't imbed, break down fast into a finer abrasive, and eventually
stop cutting. Good stuff Maynard.
Eric