Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Latch for pull down attic door.

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 11:44:06 PM UTC-5, Joe wrote:
replying to tadamsmar, Joe wrote:
Yes, I have an idea to use a pull rope that goes through through a smooth
hole in the attic door assembly and attached to a spring loaded latch. To
close the attack door simply, push it closed using a broom handle with a
protective sponge ball to protect the door assembly finish. This will
compress your insulation. To open simply pull the rope, as you normally
would to open the door assembly and the rope will pull back the spring loaded
latch. Now you won't need to get a stool to undue the bolt latches every time
you want access to the attic.

(Yes, I know it's an 8 year old thread)

I built one of these. It fits snugly into the framing for the ladder. So snug that I had to put
handles on the inside to pull it down into the opening. Not need for a latch.

http://www.conservationmart.com/imag...dium/10134.jpg