Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill Press Foot Switch

On 4 Feb 2017 23:59:22 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2017-02-03, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing drill
press. Over all I like it except that the work light isn't on except when
I am standing on the switch. I can of course wire the foot switch into the
leads to the motor, but I was wondering if there is any over riding reason
not to have a foot switch on a drill press. Its really quick for some types
of job.

Just make it so it is in a guard, so something falling, or a
foot placed wrong won't start it while you are changing drill bits in
the chuck. A quonset-hut shape bolted to a mounting plate for the
switch would be good.

Perhaps put it in series with the switch on the drill press
head, so both have to be on to run the motor. Or a center-off switch
with one position for motor on without the foot switch engaged, and in
the other position, the motor waits for the foot switch.

What I've done with my 1977 or so drill press is replace the
motor with a three-phase one, with a small VFD on the side and three
push buttons on the front. Two in guards for forward and reverse, and
one with a big red cap for stop. (Oh yes, and a pot for speed.) The red
STOP button is in the place easiest to reach, and I can even hit it with
my nose to stop while both hands are occupied. :-) What I really like is
to set the speed to barely turning, hit the FWD button while the tip of
the bit is engaged, and then up the speed once it starts cutting.

But -- there are times when I would like to have a foot switch,
perhaps just for stop.

Enjoy,
DoN.

My drill press has a toggle switch that connects either the regular
switch or the foot switch. So even if the foot switch is left on the
floor it won't energize the drill press if the toggle switch is in the
regular position. The setup works great.
Eric