Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill Press Foot Switch

On 2017-02-04, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 11:45:36 -0800, wrote:

[ ... ]

Greetings Bob,
I have thought about having a reversing motor for tapping on a drill
press many times. I was thinking that I would have a motor that turns
CCW by default and turns CW with a foot switch. Then all that needs to
be done to back off the tap is to step off of the switch. Now I may
really do it.

I ran the big Gorton mill at Gunners to tap the little handle we made
for the height adjuster on the DP table. A knob on the VFD + an
ON_OFF_ON switch controlled the speed and direction. That was sweet.
My buddy Glenn has a VFD and speed knobs for his mill, too. It _sure_
as hell beats changing belts, the way I learned in 8th grade.

Yes -- with the exception that changing belts is still
necessary for high torque at low speeds, or for achieving top speed (if
the combination of top belt speed and top VFD boost does not go too fast
for the bearing in the mill. (Of course, with some mills, there is
simply the variable speed crank on the pulleys. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail