Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill Press Foot Switch

On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 13:26:45 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I have a VFD on my drill press, so the foot switch doesn't carry motor
current and is just some old thing that I found at the dump. One thing
about it is that it is a rocker switch that closes different contacts by
stepping on the right side or the left side. So I have forward &
reverse. Reverse does get used, but seldom.

I use the foot switch when I want to be able to turn the drill press off
quickly, without moving my hand from the feed lever. Since I pretty
much never clamp the work, my other hand is busy holding it.

I power tap in the drill press & always use the foot switch for that.
Right hand brings the tap down to the hole with left hand holding. Foot
switch starts, stops, and backs up the tap.

Bob

Greetings Bob,
I have thought about having a reversing motor for tapping on a drill
press many times. I was thinking that I would have a motor that turns
CCW by default and turns CW with a foot switch. Then all that needs to
be done to back off the tap is to step off of the switch. Now I may
really do it.
Eric