Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill Press Foot Switch

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 09:34:09 -0800, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 02/04/2017 06:04 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
On 02/03/2017 01:00 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been playing with a regular foot switch on my floor standing
drill press. Over all I like it except that the work light isn't on
except when I am standing on the switch. I can of course wire the
foot switch into the leads to the motor, but I was wondering if there
is any over riding reason not to have a foot switch on a drill press.
Its really quick for some types of job.

Are you absolutely certain you will never accidentally step on the foot
switch while changing bits in the chuck?

I have a footswitch hooked up to my shopvac underneath my work table so
I can quickly get rid of debris on the table. Over the years I have had
this setup, there have been maybe a half-dozen times when I
inadvertently hit the switch, which can be startling with a shopvac
coming on unexpectedly.

Especially one of those old 109dB units screaming at 16kRPM. The whole
neighborhood knows when you clean your shop.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles