Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] edhuntress2@gmail.com is offline

Default Stainless steel, epoxy, and tableware

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 2:55:59 PM UTC-5, Jon Elson wrote:
wrote:

Has anyone here ever seen this problem? My cousing said it might be
related to washing the knives in a dishwasher, but only about a
quarter of the knives seem to be affected.

Classic problem with 2-part knives. We have a bunch of them that are doing
the same. There is a cavity in the handle that builds up steam pressure in
the dry cycle of the dishwasher. Yes, I'm guessing if you heat them and
press the blade back in, it will do the job. These things are so old, I
doubt they used epoxy, more liekly some older form of glue.

Jon

Epoxies came into widespread commercial use around 1950. If it's really old, more likely it's phenolic.

None of those thermosets can reliably be released with heat. It depends on the specific chemistry and the percentage of solids; If they're 100% solids, it's unlikely you can release them with heat.

I have some of those knives, which have been in the family since 1963. None of them have ever seen the inside of a dishwasher. They're really not up to it. Neither is anything else that contains a lot of silver.

--
Ed Huntress