Posted to sci.electronics.repair
legg legg is offline

Default Troubleshooting RFI from switch-mode PS

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 19:20:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I will respond to some of the posts above, without discussing the side topic of poorly manufactured capacitors etc.

1) the PS is rated at 35A, but I rarely draw more than 18A - and that is not a continuous draw.
2) I run the PS in a cool room, and also as a result of point 1 above the cooling fan has never come one (but has been tested to work). In other words the PS runs very cool
3) nothing has changed for 7 years until recently so this is definitely recent noise coming from the PS as I can switch to a deep cycle battery instantly and the RX noise disappears.

I have ordered the two 1000uF, 200V input caps and should replace them in about 3 days and will let you all know the results.

If the output inductor of the filter fails, the unit may continue to
run with excessive ripple current in the output filter and excessive
switching noise, due to increased peak currents.

The filter caps will eventually fail too, bulging or otherwise, due to
increasing ESR.

You would see abnormal output ripple voltage, even with good caps, if
the output choke has failed.

I've seen this twice in KW rated single-output supplies, but below 12V
output in both cases. Due to age, it meant rewinding the choke, rather
than replacing it (and replacing previously overstressed caps...).

Output ripple was evident (10x normal) even though there was a two
stage filter.

RL