Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Troubleshooting RFI from switch-mode PS

wrote:

Phil: thanks for your comments. Yes, I am grasping at straws - I
fully realize that, and as I somewhat expected, replacing the input
caps did nothing to alleviate the noise.

I have checked the AC connection to ground and that is all OK.

And I have also attempted some time ago to use your trick of a small
SW receiver to attempt to find the noise but cannot pin down any
one component as the culprit as the noise seems to emanate from all over the output section.

** I did not intend that meaning - the small AM-SW radio should tell you if the EMI is being radiated by the AC lead entering the PSU plus cabling in the premises.

With the covers on, the PSU itself ought not to be radiating any distance at all - at least with low power drain during receive mode.

Does the PSU have an inlet filter ?

http://www.westek.com.au/wp-content/...et-Filter.jpeg

This would be the first suspect.

..... Phil