Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Sump Pump has no switch. How the heck does it work?

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 21:44:09 -0500, Retired wrote:

Looking at the user manual for this model at
http://littlegiant.com/media/131449/993866.pdf
it appears that a "float switch" is an external option. The pump by
itself should run when plugged in.

Thanks for the link to the user manual. That confirmed that it should
run without water. That also lead me to get it fixed.

First off. I was being an idiot, when I found out the outlet I plugged
it into was not working. That outlet is connected to a GFI breaker that
feeds the outdoor outlets. That GFI probably tripped because it rained
and there's an extension cord plugged into it, from when I was doing
some repairs out there. (I really need to rewire that, and get the
inside outlet off that same GFI).

After getting the GFI issue fixed, the pump hummed when I plugged it in,
but would not rotate the impeller. I first removed the bottom and the
impeller. The shaft was still siezed up. I ended up taking the whole
motor apart, and was surprised to find that it's filled with oil. (good
thing I had it upright when I opened it).

I was able to loosen the shaft, which has siezed up below the bottom
bearing, and above the impeller, by scraping away some dried crud off
with a putty knife, and rotating the shaft with a vicegrip on the shaft.
I put it back together, oiled that lower part of the shaft real well,
and it works like a new pump.

---

By the way, people who write those user manuals and mix languages like
they did on this one, should be shot!!! That makes it very hard and
frustrating to read.....