Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump Pump has no switch. How the heck does it work?

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 20:09:56 -0600, wrote:

Posted Nov. 22, 2016.
This message is ON TOPIC, contains no politics, and is not a relic from
Homeownershub).... *Miracles Happen*
----

I was at a sale and bought a box of misc household stuff for a few
bucks. One item was this Sump Pump, "Little Giant (brand) Model 6-CIMR".

Here's a weblink to it. (Exact model)
https://www.grainger.com/product/LIT...ump-Pump-3P640

I noticed it has no switch, no float, or any other means to turn it on
and off (except plug/unplug it).

I would assume that it should run if I plug it in. I did, and it does
not run, hum, or anything. That tells me that it's probably defective,
which is why it was being sold as it was. There were plenty of other
useful items in that box, so I'm not out any money.

However, I'm wondering if this pump, and others like it, must be
submerged in water to function? Does anyone know?
I'll probably tear it apart when I have nothing better to do, and see if
it's fixable, but I want to make sure that this is not just because it
needs to be in water. If it was summer, I'd just toss it in a bucket of
water, but the weather is cold and nasty, and I dont feel like trying
this indoors and making a mess.

Is anyone familiar with these type of pumps?

Try dropping it in the water (assuming it is a submersible sump pump)
There may be an electronic water sensing switch inside.