D. Stoner

Default Can you derive a 110 volt outlet from a 4 wire 220 volt in the US?

Terry wrote in
:

Steven Kingsley wrote:

I just purchased a new house and am installing a new gas range. I
had a heating company come out and pipe gas to the location of the
stove, but will still need to figure something out for electricity.

I've seen several websites and newsgroup posts saying that you can
derive a 110 volt by using one of the hot wires from your range outlet
and the neutral wire.

It makes sense to me, being that our 220s are just two 110s. However,
all the sites that confirm this information are Canadian and I'm
afraid that appliance wiring between the two countries might be a bit
different. Before I electrocute myself, are there any US based
electricians out there that can confirm?

Thanks!

Steven:
Personally, I agree with your interpretation. But being in Canada
myself I think you are wise to confirm with a US source.
snip

Steven -

I'm also from Canada. I changed from a 230v electric range to a natural
gas range a few years ago, but of course needed a 115v supply to run the
controls.

I just bought an adapter. It plugs into the 230v range plug and covers it,
and has a standard 115v plug on the front of it. It looks like some of
those wall mounted surge protector plates, but it simply picks off one side
of the 230v supply and brings out the resulting 115v to a proper 115v plug
on the faceplate. The unit has it's own built in 15 amp fusing, so the
control circuitry in the range is properly protected. I believe the store
that sold me the range had the unit. I suspect if you ask the dealer where
you purchased your range, they will have such adapters that are compatible
with your U.S. wiring if for some reason it is different than Canadian
wiring.

The beauty of this is that if for any reason we or future purchasers of the
house want to go back to an electric range, we just have to shut off the
gas supply, remove the adapter, and plug in the electric range and it'll
work.