Terry

Default Can you derive a 110 volt outlet from a 4 wire 220 volt in the US?

Steven Kingsley wrote:

I just purchased a new house and am installing a new gas range. I
had a heating company come out and pipe gas to the location of the
stove, but will still need to figure something out for electricity.

I've seen several websites and newsgroup posts saying that you can
derive a 110 volt by using one of the hot wires from your range outlet
and the neutral wire.

It makes sense to me, being that our 220s are just two 110s. However,
all the sites that confirm this information are Canadian and I'm
afraid that appliance wiring between the two countries might be a bit
different. Before I electrocute myself, are there any US based
electricians out there that can confirm?

Thanks!

Steven:
Personally, I agree with your interpretation. But being in Canada
myself I think you are wise to confirm with a US source.
The way I have explained our North American 115/230 volt system
to some, (especially the UK where domestically they usually
'only' have two wires plus an earth; i.e. a neutral at {sort of}
zero volts and a hot at 230 volts into their consumer/unit or
main circuit breaker or fuse panel), is like this;
We have three wires coming into our North American houses along
with a ground of some sort at the point where the wires come in.
The 'middle' wire, often white is the neutral at {sort of} zero
volts. One of the other wires often (in Canada) black or red is
at plus 115 volts and the other wire red or black, say, is at
minus 115 volts.
So there is, as it were 230 volts between the two 'outer' wires.
Since we are talking about AC electricity it's not entirely true
to speak of plus and minus but it serves to explain the process.
If the three wire circuit you intend to use previously served an
electric cooking stove it's most likely got a heavy two pole of
breaker something like 40 to 60 amps? To protect the much thinner
wiring for miscellaneous functions within your new propane stove
it is an excellent idea to replace the breaker with a single pole
one of say 15 or 20 amp rating and plug or wire the new stove
into a regular duplex outlet connected only for 115 volts.
Email direct if you wish