tippybob

Default Kenmore Dishwasher - Troubleshoot?

(tippybob) wrote in message om...
I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher, about 2-1/2 years old. It recently
stopped working; some of the leds on the control panel blink on and
off, but I can't select a cycle or get any action by pressing the
start button. The Sears technician was here today and after seeing
the symptoms informed me that I need a new control panel and computer
module. The total cost for repairs will be over $400.00, and I had to
pay a $70 service call fee just to get the estimate. The dishwasher
had a 2-year warranty on the electronics, and is certainly not worth
repairing at that price. Anyway, before I send this unit to the junk
pile, I would like to see if there is anything I can check myself. I
am handy with tools and a voltmeter, and would like any suggestions as
to what I might be able to check myself. Is there a separate power
supply for the electronics, or anything else that might be simple to
check and/or repair? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Bob

Thanks to everyone who replied. Looks unlikely that it might be a
simple (cheap!) repair, so I am going to get a new dishwasher. Yes,
the salesman had told me that there is a 5-year warranty on the
electronics, but the booklet that came with the dishwasher said that
there is only a 2-yr warranty, so Sears will not cover the repairs. I
did call Sears and register a complaint, but they aren't willing to
make any exceptions to their policies.

Apparently Sears now first sends an "estimator" on each repair. The
man who came to my house spent only 3 or 4 minutes and then gave me an
estimate of over $400 for a repair. He obviously wasn't equipped to
do any repairs himself - he just goes around from house to house
collecting $70 a pop just like he did from me. People who want to
proceed with a repair then schedule a real technician to visit (no
credit given for the cost of the estimator's visit). I guess now most
home appliances are designed to be thrown away rather than repaired,
just like home electronics.