Robert A. Barr

Default Slate Roof/Gutter Question

Rob Gray wrote:

I have a slate roof/gutter question. Does anyone know if the gutter
hangers that are secured under the slates and hang out below the roof to
support half-round gutters can be replaced without replacing the slates?

The reason I ask is that I am considering changing out my older
galvinized half-round gutters with copper gutters, but to do so, I need
to install new hangers. I can't use the old steel hangers with copper
gutters......

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Rob

You couldn't use a portion of the old hanger as a stub? Use a good quality
fastener (nut & bolt) to attach new hangers to the old? That's what I did
years ago when my old galvanized finally died. I sheared off the old
gutter, kept the hangers and extended them as necessary with nuts & bolts (I
used brass).

The last thing you want to do is crack that last (first, actually) course of
slate!