Doordoc

Default Sears Garage Door Opener, Remote Keypad Problem

John W. Wells wrote in message . ..
I recently installed two Sears openers on my garage doors. They came
with remote keypads (wireless) that I mounted outside.

To open the doors with the keypads one must push the 4-key code
followed by the Enter key. The problem is that they do not open the
doors on the first try. We must invariably re-enter the code to
operate a door.

I tried replacing the cheapo batteries provided with fresh alkalines,
but to no avail.

If that's not frustrating enough, adding to our irritation are those
crummy rubbery keypad buttons that want to move off sideways rather
than go straight in when pushed.

Is this normal behavior, or have I gotten two faulty keypads by
coincidence? Or could I (heaven forbid!) have made some sort of
installation mistake?!

Postback

--John W. Wells

John,

This is not normal behaviour for these keypads & we install hundreds
of the Liftmaster brand every month w/ almost no failure.

First I would make sure that the antennas on the motor heads are
pointing straight down to the floor. If they still do not work
properly I would move the keypad to different locations (we too also
normally install them on the door trim) & test them before actually
screwing them to the wall.

If you find one spot that works well & if your doors are close
together (the range is approx 50' to 75') you can use one keypad to
open either door. The number is stored in the motor head on the
Chamberlain brand (Sears, Craftsman, & Liftmaster) & not in the keypad
& therefore will open an unlimited number of doors that are within its
range. You could give or sell the other one to anyone that has one of
these brands as long as their opener is Security + or rolling code.

How the buttons are pushed usually does not make any difference. The
keys are lit w/ LED's that can only be seen when it is dark, but if
they light up the key push has been registered.

The factory purposely uses non-alkaline batteries. The keypad is
basically a transmitter w/ a code & I don't know the scientific reason
for it but some alkaline batteries will actually decrease the range on
some transmitters. Many of the manufacturers have recommended for
years to use a non-alkaline battery but the bunny has a better
marketing campaign.

If all else fails exchange the keypads, but it would be very rare for
one person to get two defective ones, since the failure rate is
extremely low.

If you have any further question, post back.

Doordoc
www.doorsandopeners.com