Wayne Peacock

Default Sony Trinitron brightness problems or old age?

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

Wayne Peacock writes:

Hi all,

I have a sun GDM-5010PT 21' monitor that I have just fixed the power
supply for. Now the brightness is very dim and I need to up the screen
or sub-brightness. And yes the power supply rails all test OK.

I am aware there are no trimpots and most settings are controlled by
software (DAS from what has been listed in this group). How can I
increase the brightness without the software or would someone have the
protocol for the serial connection?

I am very capable of writing a program and wiring a cable for this if I
know what to write to the monitor. Can a resistor be changed etc?

What is the normal life of a trinitron tube? This monitor was made in
march 1998 and has likely been on for it's life. Could it be on it's
last legs

Brightness half-life of a typical CRT is usually quoted as 15-20K hours.
If it's really been on for 5 years continuous without full power saving
mode implemented, could indeed just be a tired CRT.

Continuous with power saving. I would assume a normal day in the office!
7 hours per day etc. 'Typical life of CRT' is that the same as a
trinitron? or are trinitrons different.

Is there not even a screen/G2 pot on the flyback?

There are two adjustments on the flyback. But posts in the forums state
them as H & V focus? I have tried adjusting both and they just change
the focus.

Regards
Wayne