Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 10:18:00 AM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 10/05/2016 02:00 PM, wrote:
bob haller:

Understand the reasoning behind it, but I think
it would make sense the other way round:

Always on: Ground pin up
Switched: pin down.

Is there some reason for that, other than it would mean most of the
receptacles would be ground-up.

Also, how would you install a duplex receptacle where only one side is
switched?

P.S. I have a split/switched receptacle in my garage, but for a very
strange reason.

I inherited an old 19" TV from my Dad. The picture doesn't go off when
you press the power button or use the remote. The sound goes off but the
picture stays on. You have to kill the AC input to turn it off completely,
so I split a duplex and added a switch. A one-time wiring job was easier
than using the plug to turn it on and off every time.

Here's the even stranger part: When you reapply the power, all you get is
snow. You still have to press the power button or use the remote to *really*
turn it on.