Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 3:19:26 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 12:13:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Derby Day wrote:

I haven't. My hedge trimmer doesn't have it's own cord, just a plug built
into a recessed area of the handle. The socket end of an extension cord
connects directly to that plug and is held in by a molded hook.

Now ask me about cutting the *extension cord* with my hedge trimmer

I have the same type of trimmer, and several various length extension cords to use depending on how far from the house I have to go. I just checked, at least one of my 5 extension cords does not have a band of tape where I nicked/cut it. Of course, that is over 40+ years of use so I guess it is not too bad.

Several of my extension cords are not as long as when I bought them.

Many years ago my (then) teenage son got hired by a well-to-do family
friend to help him clean out his garage. When I went to pick him I saw
a 50' 12g extension cord - on a reel - on top of the trash pile. It
looked almost brand new, so I grabbed it and tossed it in the car.

When I got home I found that the cord had been cut about 6' from one
end. It was held together just by a piece of the outer jacket.

I bought a plug and socket and turned it into a 6' cord and a 44' cord.
It's 15 years later and I still use both of them. I remember explaining
to my son what happens when you have more money than you know what to
do with.