Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob_Villa Bob_Villa is offline

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 7:02:25 AM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 8:57:58 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

This was discussed recently. Some inspectors want the pin up. The
reason is that in an office a paper clip fell and hit the prongs of a
plug that was not pushed in fully. Pin up would not let it short.
IIRC, national code does not mention it.

I've seen a short-circuit twice from metal getting behind the plug. One *was* caused by it being "prong up", a hospital bed was *raised* and came between the wall and 2 prongs. The other was a pull chain that was too long and hitting the hot wire. In the 2nd case up or down would have made no difference.
I can see why there is no code.

....if I wasn't clear on this, "prong up" meant "ground prong up".