Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Outlets Upside Down? Code?

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 1:32:11 PM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:
If the screw holding a metal outlet cover comes loose, the cover can
fall onto the hot and neutral as a plug is removed or is partially
unplugged.

Sheesh, what's with all the loose screws and plugs falling out of outlets?

I can't recall EVER seeing a loose cover plate screw. Assuming they were
tightened when installed, why would the screw work loose? The screw would
not only have to loosen up, but it would have to back out a half inch for
the cover plate to fall off. Even if that were to happen, a plastic cover
plate would solve that problem.

- Use a quality outlet with a plastic cover plate.
- Don't use the back-stab connectors.
- Make sure the plug is fully inserted into the outlet.
- Position the cord where it won't get snagged to pull the plug out.
- Eliminate situations where things could fall on the outlet.
- Use a protective cover if the risk cannot be avoided.

Orient the outlet however the inspector wants it, or what works best for
your situation or personal preference.

Anthony Watson

What happens is a cord often gets yanked sideways putting stress on the outlet and the twisting motion plus vibration can work a cover screw loose. I've seen metal cover plates fall right off where the Bakelite plates shatter.. I like the nylon plates because they don't break. But a lot of problems can be eliminated if spacers are used on the screws behind the ears on the outlet to stabilize it by bringing it out far enough so the outlet cover is not under stress. The spacers are for sale in the electrical area of your local Lowe's Depot. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Screwy Monster